Zimbabwean journalist Hopewell Chin’ono denied bail

first_img RSF_en News to go further Reports Zimbabwean journalist Hopewell Chin’ono on September 2, 2020. Jekesai NJIKIZANA / AFP The winner of CNN’s African Journalist of the Year award in 2008, Chin’ono has been held since 3 November of charges of contempt of court and obstructing justice for tweeting that he had been told that the controversial president of the Zimbabwe Miners Federation, a powerful boss under former President Robert Mugabe, would be granted bail after being arrested during an attempt to smuggle 6 kilos of gold.Chin’ono will himself remain in a high security prison after being denied bail today. His lawyer, Doug Coltart, told RSF that the decision was clearly a “reprisal” and an attempt to silence someone who has been “at the forefront of the fight against corruption in Zimbabwe”. Coltart said he would appeal.“This journalist, who was already held for six weeks a few months ago and who is now having to sleep alongside some of the country’s most dangerous criminals, has absolutely no case to answer and is clearly the victim of an attempt to silence him,” said Arnaud Froger, the head of RSF’s Africa desk. “We firmly and unreservedly condemn the judicial harassment to which he is being subjected and we call for his unconditional release. His latest arrest speaks to the legacy of repression typical of the Mugabe era that the new authorities are proving slow to shake off.”Chin’ono spent a month and a half in prison on a charge of inciting an anti-government protest following arrest on 20 July. He was arrested just weeks after helping to expose a case of overbilling for medical supplies to combat the coronavirus pandemic that resulted in the health minister’s dismissal. He was finally released on bail in that case pending trial on 7 December.Despite the promises of change that accompanied the Mugabe’s fall in 2017, the press freedom situation is still very disturbing in Zimbabwe, which is ranked 126th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2020 World Press Freedom Index. Reporters Without Borders (RSF) condemns the Zimbabwean judicial system’s persecution of investigative journalist Hopewell Chin’ono after a Harare court refused to release him on bail today in connection with the tweet for which he was arrested nine days ago. News The 2020 pandemic has challenged press freedom in Africa November 12, 2020 Zimbabwean journalist Hopewell Chin’ono denied bail Follow the news on Zimbabwe September 1, 2020 Find out morecenter_img August 5, 2020 Find out more Zimbabwean court must free imprisoned journalist who is unwell Letter about coronavirus-linked press freedom violations in Zimbabwe Receive email alerts News ZimbabweAfrica Condemning abusesProtecting journalists ImprisonedImpunityFreedom of expressionJudicial harassment Help by sharing this information Organisation ZimbabweAfrica Condemning abusesProtecting journalists ImprisonedImpunityFreedom of expressionJudicial harassment November 27, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

Prison administration lays complaint against a REN-TV journalist

first_img to go further December 21, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Prison administration lays complaint against a REN-TV journalist Follow the news on Belarus BelarusEurope – Central Asia RSF_en News Mikhail Khodorkovsky was sentenced on 21 May 2005 to nine years in prison for tax fraud. He began a hunger strike last August in solidarity with his former associate Platon Lebedev, who had been sentenced to solitary confinement. News agency Ria Novosti, which is close to the government, had put out a release quoting health bulletins on Khodorkovsky from doctors within the prison. “We welcome opening of criminal investigation in Lithuania in response to our complaint against Lukashenko” RSF says RSF at the Belarusian border: “The terrorist is the one who jails journalists and intimidates the public” Receive email alerts June 2, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information center_img News REN-TV presenter Marianna Maximovskaya has had a complaint laid against her by the prison administration after she referred on air to jailed Russian tycoon Mikhail Khodorkovsky’s hunger strike in August.The former head of the oil giant Yukos has been in prison since 25 October 2003.“We are baffled by the desire of the Russian authorities to deny a fact that was widely covered by the national and international press”, said Reporters Without Borders.“One might wonder what the prison administration hopes to achieve by demanding a public retraction for something that it is alone in refusing to acknowledge.“This kind of harassment is unacceptable in a country like Russia, which is a member of the G8 and purports to be democratic”, it added. May 27, 2021 Find out more Russian media boss drops the pretence and defends Belarus crackdown Maximovskaya told Reporters Without Borders that she had no idea why the Federal Service for the Execution of punishments (FSIN) had last week lodged a complaint against her and demanded a retraction for something that happened more than three months ago.Le FSIN denies that the Russian billionaire went on hunger strike, arguing that no official sources of the federal service had acknowledged it.The radio Echo of Moscow, the daily Kommersant and the newspaper Izvestia all picked up the report but, strangely, only REN-TV has been taken to task by the prison administration. Maximovskaya does not know what penalty she is at risk of, only that she has to appear before a court in Moscow on 12 January 2006. REN-TV is 70% owned by private companies close to the government since it was taken over in July this year. News anchor Olga Romanova, was forced to resign on 5 December after being taken off air. Three managers, including head of news, Yelena Fedorova then resigned from the company.Reporters Without Borders is concerned at the tightening grip on Russian media and escalating incidents of censorship and harassment brought to bear on the last few journalists who still dare to challenge the official version of events. BelarusEurope – Central Asia May 28, 2021 Find out more News News Organisation last_img read more

Library access from afar

first_imgHarvard University today (Jan. 20) launched the library module of the Harvard mobile app, offering access to the world’s largest university research library from virtually anywhere.The University is restructuring its library system in response to a rapidly changing technological and intellectual landscape, and the app will allow the Harvard Library to better serve patrons who increasingly rely on an array of mobile devices. It gives users access to the HOLLIS catalog, a database containing 12.8 million records of journals, manuscripts, government documents, maps, microforms, music scores, sound recordings, visual materials, and data files in the University’s collection. In addition, users will be able to access information about Harvard’s library facilities and archive collections.“Academic libraries must not only collect and preserve materials, but must also be engines of innovation in this rapidly changing world,” said Helen Shenton, executive director of the new Harvard Library. “This is a big step toward making the Harvard Library collections accessible to our patrons, regardless of their location or platform.”Harvard launched its University-wide mobile initiative — both a native iPhone app and a mobile web application for any Internet-enabled phone — last September, providing users with access to campus maps, directories, and dining hall menus, as well as University news, events, shuttle schedules, and course catalogs. Since then, the native iPhone app has been downloaded more than 10,000 times, and the mobile web application has received hundreds of thousands of page views from campus community and visitors. The University will continue to develop and improve these applications, and expand the initiative by bringing in more mobile-aware and mobile-appropriate content.The Harvard native iPhone app is free and can be used with the iPhone 4, 3GS, and 3G hardware, but users must download the free iOS 4 software update. Users with earlier versions of the iPhone app can access the new library component by refreshing the app. The mobile web application is available at m.harvard.edu.The library component is the product of a collaboration among Harvard Public Affairs and Communications, Modo Labs in Cambridge, and staff in Harvard University Library’s Office for Information Systems. Library staff provided key user testing as the mobile-friendly site was completed earlier this month.The site is located at http://m.harvard.edu/libraries/.last_img read more