“We celebrate a milestone with the delivery of three mega cranes, the largest of their kind deployed at any container terminal in the southern hemisphere,” said Transnet Port Terminal’s acting chief executive, Pru Archary. “This acquisition will make Durban Container Terminal Pier 2 the first terminal in Africa to operate tandem lift ship-to-shore cranes, which reaffirms our commitment to delivering world-class port services in Africa.” 30 November 2012 South African port operator Transnet Port Terminals set a precedent in Africa when it took possession of three new tandem lift ship-to-shore cranes for the Durban Container Terminal that are the first of their kind on the continent. The equipment – purchased from Zhenhua Heavy Industries Co (ZPMC) in Shanghai, China – will revive the Durban terminal and result in improved efficiencies and reduced service times, the organisation said in a statement when the cranes arrived on 20 November. The cranes form part of a fleet of seven meant to boost equipment at the country’s flagship terminal; the remaining four will arrive early in 2013. A Transnet Port Terminals (TPT) team headed by general manager for capital projects, Logan Naidoo, has been working on the design standards of the cranes for the past 15 months.‘Designed to improve port’s longevity’ “These cranes have been designed to take us into the next 20 years of the port’s longevity and are capable of servicing the latest-generation container vessels with with a span of 24 containers across the deck,” Naidoo said. They will also be able to service the next generation of “megamax” vessels that will dock at the terminal’s North Quay once it is deepened, which is scheduled for the near future. “These cranes will ensure that the Durban Container Terminal is taken as a serious player in the global shipping fraternity and its arrival is a milestone in the delivery of Transnet’s market demand strategy,” TPT said. “TPT has R33-billion worth of capital projects planned over the next seven years, with a key focus on upgrading infrastructure at various terminals and replacing aged equipment,” Naidoo said. “The investment in the tandem lift ship-to-shore cranes, valued at R700-million, was prioritised as one of TPT’s top 10 capital projects under the market demand strategy.” In addition to improving efficiency and productivity at the terminal, the acquisition will allow for job creation and opportunities for local engineering companies and graduates. “In line with Transnet’s tender policy, the recipient of every tender is required to produce a competitive supplier development plan (CSDP),” the company said. As such, ZPMC has selected local port equipment spares and maintenance company, Elgin Marine Services, as its CSDP partner. “Elgin Marine Services has employed and will mentor and develop 11 young newly graduated engineers from previously disadvantaged communities to whom skills will be transferred,” Transnet Port Terminals said. SAinfo reporter
Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim NATO’s aging eye in the sky to get a last overhaul Pagasa: Storm intensifies as it nears PAR MOST READ LATEST STORIES Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo Thailand bets finished with the gold and silver medals, respectively, as Ratchadaporn Plengsaengthong scored 619.8 and Supamas Wankaew 617.7. FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games opening Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong protesters Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ The Philippines squeezed into the podium with a bronze medal in the women’s 50 meter rifle prone event Thursday in the 2017 Southeast Asian Games in Kuala Lumpur.Filipino shooter Amparo Teresa Acuña came up with 612.9 finish to give the Philippine shooting team in Malaysia its first medal so far.ADVERTISEMENT Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games03:07PH billiards team upbeat about gold medal chances in SEA Games05:25PH boxing team determined to deliver gold medals for PH03:04Filipino athletes share their expectations for 2019 SEA Games00:45Onyok Velasco see bright future for PH boxing in Olympics02:25PH women’s volleyball team motivated to deliver in front of hometown crowd01:27Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games00:36Manny Pacquiao part of 2019 SEA Games opening ceremony View comments Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side Country Wide Basketball League promotes regional basketball Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.
The new lottery will definitely change teams’ incentives in the right direction. It makes having a bottom-five record less valuable and improves the fortunes of teams in the rest of the lottery (particularly the Nos. 8 and 9 picks, which gain the most value under the new system). But it’s worth wondering if a change of about two-thirds of a win per season will really be enough to make a big dent in teams’ willingness to tank.In fairness, the effect appears larger when you consider the outsize potential of top picks to become stars. Using WORP as a guide, there was about a 34 percent chance of landing an All Star-level player2Defined as a player who produced at least 30 WORP in his first five NBA seasons. if a team had the worst record going into the 2018 lottery; those odds will fall to 27 percent under next year’s system. Seven percentage points doesn’t sound like a whole lot, but the NBA is so star-driven that any reduction in the probability of getting a franchise-altering player hurts. With the ability to get those kinds of players also increasing for teams who finish with, say, the league’s eighth-worst record, it should eventually help the anti-tanking effort by funneling more big stars to teams who don’t completely throw their seasons away.So congratulations, Phoenix: You’re the last team who’ll take advantage of the old odds to help grab a potential star. The league’s changes might not be extreme enough to fully discourage teams from engaging in Sixers-style tear downs, but they’re a start. And after the race to the bottom that played out down the stretch of the 2017-18 season, such changes are more than welcome.Check out our latest NBA predictions. As I wrote last year:Early in the draft, the curve is steep. The average No. 2 pick is worth only about 80 percent as many VORP in his first five seasons as the average No. 1, and players only get less valuable from there.This is part of why teams spend so much time and energy gunning for the worst record — and (until next year) the highest odds of picking No. 1. The chances of getting an impact player from the top pick are much better than at any other slot in the draft. But they’re not perfect; there’s a lot of luck involved in picking the player who’ll have the best career. Add in the extra randomness of getting the lottery balls to bounce your way, and the difference between the expected value of having the NBA’s worst record under the old system and next year’s new one is just 3.4 total wins over the first five years of a player’s career. When the pingpong balls came to a rest after Tuesday night’s NBA draft lottery, it was the end of an era for the league. Starting next season, the lottery’s distribution of odds based on team records will change — the first tweak to the system in 25 years. The jackpot-winning Phoenix Suns came out on top in this season’s historic tankfest, but from this moment on, the already-long odds of burning a franchise to the ground and building it back up will only get longer.At least, that’s the effect the league is hoping the new lottery rules will have. How much of a difference will the changes to the lottery system really make, though? And will it be enough to discourage teams from tanking?To work out some of the new math facing NBA teams, let’s turn to our draft-value chart, which measures the expected value over replacement player (VORP) that teams can expect out of a given draft pick in his first five pro seasons. (We’ll convert our chart from last summer to wins over replacement1Multiplying VORP by 2.7. to better position the differences in a real-world context.)
Liverpool defender Virgil Van Dijk insists he’s focusing on the positives following the team’s 2-1 loss to Manchester City on Thursday night.The Netherlands international made a point to remind the Reds’ fans of the club’s current standing in the Premier League at the turn of the new year.“You can’t look at this situation in a negative way,” Van Dijk said, as quoted by ESPN. “We are still top of the league with a four-point lead. It is still looking fine for us. Our next game in the Premier League is Brighton and we are already looking forward to that. There is the FA Cup in between, of course.”“The only thing we can do now is bounce back. We will. We can go on another unbeaten run, but we take it game by game. We know it is going to be tough.”Virgil van Dijk praises Roberto Firmino after Liverpool’s win Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Virgil van Dijk hailed team-mate Roberto Firmino after coming off the bench to inspire Liverpool to a 3-1 comeback win against Newcastle United.“We have a great mentality. We have shown that all season. We just have to keep on doing what we have been doing. There is no reason to change anything or panic.”Meanwhile, Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson insists he’s happy with the team’s performance at the Etihad Stadium in their loss to City.“There is no need to get carried away,” he said. “All season we have taken it game by game and we will do that again.”“It is normal to be disappointed by a defeat. Now it is about reaction and I am sure the lads will react in the right way. Why would you lose confidence after a game like tonight? It could have been different.”“The Premier League is a tough league, the games keep coming. We need to be ready and we will be. In terms of the result we are disappointed. We were beaten by a very good City team, but there were still moments in the game where we could have scored one or two more. We just have to accept the defeat.”
Athletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone has agreed a contract renewal at Atletico Madrid which will keep him at the club until the summer of 2021.Simeone who has led the club to a Champions League final has his current contract set to expire in 2020 but Diario AS report via Football Espana an agreement has been reached by both sides for an extension.According to the report, Simeone’s sister and agent Natalia have negotiated a fresh deal which will increase the Coach’s salary, the Argentine currently earns €2m and is said to be the third highest paid manager within world football.La Liga Betting: Match-day 4 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Despite it being very early into La Liga season, both Barcelona and Real Madrid have had unprecedented starts to their campaigns. With this in…Athletico Madrid have been impressive since Simeone took over from Gregorio Manzano in 2011. He has won a La Liga title and has played in several Champions League knockout stages.Atleti are currently five points behind Barcelona in the Spanish league standings and are still competing in the UEFA champions league round of 16.