News February 20, 2003 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Discriminatory use of official advertising in Kashmir April 27, 2021 Find out more RSF demands release of detained Indian journalist Siddique Kappan, hospitalised with Covid-19 News Organisation IndiaAsia – Pacific to go further March 3, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information The English-language private daily Kashmir Observer, published in Srinagar (north-west India), has been experiencing serious financial difficulties ever since the Jammu and Kashmir state government decided to stop purchasing advertising space in the publication’s pages.Reporters Without Borders (Reporters sans frontières) is concerned about the consequences of the new provincial government’s discriminatory policies, which could have grave long-term implications for the pluralism of information in the Kashmir region. The organisation has asked Mufti Mohammad Sayeed, Jammu and Kashmir’s Chief Minister, to distribute official advertising among the media of the province in an equitable manner free of political criteria.At the end of January 2003, the provincial government stopped buying advertising space in the Kashmir Observer newspaper. Some officials confirmed to the newspaper’s editorial staff that the paper had been crossed off the list of media entitled to these contracts. In an editorial dated 15 January 2003, Sajjad Haider, editor and publisher of the Kashmir Observer, had already objected to the provincial government’s attitude toward his newspaper and their delayed payments for official publicity. “This reluctance to pay advertising invoices is a subtle and insidious form of coercion. The government needs to be reminded that newspapers here are working solely to protect public interest,” he wrote. Sajjad Haider is the son-in-law of Molvi Abbas Ansari, one of the leaders of the All Parties Hurriyat Conference (a separatist alliance). This family tie could well be the motive behind this boycott. The newspaper has also been suspected of illegally holding funds from abroad that are being used to aid the separatist movement.As a result of the conflict that has been tearing Kashmir apart since 1990, the largest companies have been leaving the province, thus depriving the media of advertising income. Official advertising and announcements therefore represent the main source of financing for Indian dailies like the Kashmir Observer. IndiaAsia – Pacific News Follow the news on India News India: RSF denounces “systemic repression” of Manipur’s media Receive email alerts RSF_en February 23, 2021 Find out more Indian journalist wrongly accused of “wantonly” inaccurate reporting
The strike at United Biscuit’s (UB) Jacob’s factory in Liverpool has been suspended to allow time for talks to resolve the dispute around sick pay.Workers union GMB, which represents 800 Jacob’s employees, said that the strike that would have taken place over another four days between now and 14 December had been suspended to allow a fresh start of discussions.Employers took part in two strike days at the Aintree, Liverpool site in November this year after they voted 84% in favour of action. According to UB, the dispute regards the introduction of a modernised absence management system, and changes to a two-week Christmas shut-down, which was agreed in principle with GMB representatives in May of this year.Suart Fegan, GMB national officer for the food manufacturing industry, said: “GMB has agreed to suspend the strike action due to take place tomorrow, Wednesday 3 December, and later this month at United Biscuit’s Jacob’s site in Aintree.“This is to allow fresh start discussions to take place between the GMB and senior management at United Biscuit’s Jacob’s Aintree, which will focus on the long term interests of the site, which are vital, and repairing industrial relations at the site. We will keep our members up to date with the progress of these talks.”The Aintree factory manufactures Jacob’s Cream Crackers and Club chocolate biscuits.UB was bought last month by international biscuit manufacturer Yildiz Holding, after a long stint of rumours involving other possible buyers, and the possibility that the company would instead float on the stock exchange.
Ireland defender Ciaran Clark will take big confidence from shutting out Zlatan Ibrahimovic. He added: “Managing to keep a clean sheet away from home is obviously a brilliant result. “I am sure it will give the whole back four, and everyone else, confidence going into the next game.” Ireland will now hope to follow up their strong performance in the Swedish capital by beating Austria back in Dublin on Tuesday. Germany have taken a five-point lead at the top of Group C but the battle behind them is tight. Ireland have slipped to fourth but they are just a point behind second-placed Sweden and level with Austria. Clark, 23, said: “It is a big game but we are happy with the point here and we can go on now, play at home on Tuesday and with a big crowd behind us hopefully we can get three points.” Sweden’s star striker, who scored four goals against England last November, endured a frustrating night as Ireland claimed a creditable goalless draw in their World Cup qualifier in Stockholm. The Paris St Germain forward, whose combined career transfer fees total more than £130million, found chances hard to come by at the Friends Arena with his one meaningful effort deflected wide. Aston Villa centre-back Clark said: “He is a big, strong guy and his technical ability is unbelievable.” Press Association