FLASHBACK: In this November 2012 aerial shot of a Long Beach side street in the aftermath of Superstorm Sandy, vehicles were buried in sand. (Kevin Kane/Long Island Press) Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York
Facebook Twitter Google+ Regardless of how the questions were phrased, Scott Shafer shot them down.Holding his weekly press conference Thursday morning, the Syracuse (2-3, 0-1 Atlantic Coast) head coach didn’t entertain questions about his demotion of George McDonald from offensive coordinator to solely wide receivers coach and his subsequent promotion of quarterbacks coach Tim Lester to the head of the offense. The switch was announced Monday following the Orange’s third consecutive loss on Friday.In his interview sessions earlier in the week, Shafer discussed the matter and how the coaching staff has handled it. But as a meeting with No. 1 Florida State (5-0, 3-0) loomed 50 hours away, the head coach put his foot down Thursday morning.“Every decision I’ve made is in the direction that points towards the best interests in developing our players and becoming a better football team,” Shafer said. “I’m not going to go backwards and rehash all these things. I don’t believe in living life that way.”When a reporter attempted a follow-up question, Shafer cut him off before the question could be finished.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“I’m having a hard time with your questions because I’m not looking forward to going backwards and I’m not going to do it,” Shafer said. “You want to keep asking them, you can. But I’m done. I answered them. I feel good about where we’re going and it’s not in the best interests of this team to continue to go backwards, so I won’t.”About six minutes later, Shafer was asked if he was concerned about the trend in college football of coaches leaving programs and bringing recruits with them.McDonald’s demotion raises doubt about his future in Syracuse — and as a master recruiter, doubts about the Orange’s recruiting future have surfaced — but Shafer again took a firm stance and declined to discuss the negative implications of his decision.“You’re asking backwards again,” Shafer said. “You two need to get together because I don’t want to talk about this and I’m not going to because it’s not in the best interests of our team. The best interests of our team is to say we’re fighting our butts off as a family to get better every single day. I know you guys get paid to look backwards, but that’s not what we’re doing because that’s a waste of time.“I’ve addressed it. I’m done addressing it and I really can’t say any more.” Comments Published on October 9, 2014 at 11:35 am Contact Phil: [email protected] | @PhilDAbb
NHL DRAFT 2019: Former Rangers GM Neil Smith on the process, mistakes and pressure on Ray SheroThe league instituted a third category for coaches’ challenges. In addition to offsides and goaltender interference, coaches will now be able to challenge any goal in which a play stoppage in the offensive zone should have occurred prior to the score. “This change will allow challenges of plays that may involve pucks that hit the spectator netting, pucks that are high-sticked to a teammate in the offensive zone, pucks that have gone out of play but are subsequently touched in the offensive zone and hand passes that proceed without a play stoppage and ultimately conclude in the scoring of a goal,” the league said in a press release.Basically the NHL has addressed the hand pass and blown major penalty calls from the playoffs, but not the missed trip from the SCF.— Greg Wyshynski (@wyshynski) June 21, 2019Such challenges will only be allowed if the puck does not leave the offensive zone between the missed stoppage and the goal.Coaches will also be able to make as many challenges as they like, but those challenges will carry greater risks. Teams will now receive a minor penalty for delay of game on a first unsuccessful challenge and a double minor for each subsequent unsuccessful challenge. Previously, a team’s ability to challenge was based on the availability of a timeout. Bettman stresses #NHL does not want challenges in games, hence the penalties for an incorrect challenge. He says it shouldn’t be for “I hope it’s goaltender interference” or “maybe it looks like it’s close.” They are supposed to be for “crystal clear, unmistakable errors.”— Frank Seravalli (@frank_seravalli) June 21, 2019Another change concerning video review: Referees are now required to review all non-fighting major penalties and match penalties. Officials will not be able to nullify the penalty, however; they can only confirm it or reduce it to a minor penalty. The 2018-19 contract year isn’t yet over, but the NHL is already changing its rules for next season.The changes were approved this week by the league’s Board of Governors, general managers and the Competition Committee and announced Thursday by commissioner Gary Bettman in Vancouver, site of this weekend’s NHL Draft. The most notable adjustments: Coaches’ challenges and video review have been expanded, and enhanced player safety initiatives have been taken. Referees will also be able to check the video after a double minor penalty for high-sticking to confirm the call and ensure the correct player is penalized. Such reviews are not mandated, however.To enhance safety, a player who loses his helmet must return to their team’s bench or replace the helmet before returning to the play. Any player who attempts to take off an opponent’s helmet will receive a minor penalty for roughing.Offensive teams will now be able to select which faceoff circle they would like to start from following icings and at the beginning of power plays as the league looks to increase scoring opportunities. Goalies are also no longer allowed to intentionally dislodge the goal on a breakaway. Doing so will result in a goal for the offensive team.
Riding a season high two game win streak, the Saints had no reason to hold back as they welcomed Trinity Western University (TWU) Spartans to Nelson for their final two games of the season.Knowing that at least one win would give the Selkirk men’s hockey team the highest point total in their BCIHL history, it was a matter of buckling down and conquering a team who had just recently beat Simon Fraser University (SFU) and Okanagan College, two of the top teams in the league. On Friday night at the Nelson and District CC the stage was set and the Spartans were determined to make the Saints challenge all that much more difficult by scoring the first two goals in a game where Selkirk out hit and out played their feisty opponent from Langley, BC. Working through the same adversity that plagued them much of the season, and without injured players Scott Jago and Caleb Roy, the Saints started the comeback midway through the second period on a goal by Burhan Pourmokhtari.Caleb Georgetti and Devon Nazaroff added to the excitement by pocketing two more goals to give the Saints a 3-2 lead after two. The third period was all Saints as TWU was simply shutdown and Brendan Madlung scored the insurance marker with three minutes left to give the Saints a 4-2 win. Adding helpers in the contest was Scotty Traverse (3), Travis Herlein, Adam Makaroff, Braden Mace and Devon Nazaroff. Goal tender Spenser Wong earned first star honors by stopping 38 of 40 shots. Game two on Saturday night started out much like the first with TWU scoring first on a shorthanded play take a 1-0 lead into the first break. Caleb Georgetti notched a goal for the Saints early in the second with assists going to Cody Baker and Scotty Traverse. However, only three minutes later TWU managed to squeak another goal past Saints tendy, Todd Hoodicoff putting the Saints down 2-1 after two periods of play. Coming out of the gates in the third with all cylinders firing, Scotty Traverse, assisted by Devin Kerckhof and Josh Mace, notched his fifth point of the weekend only 9 seconds into the stanza. That was it for scoring as the two teams battled back and forth, trading many chances and special team opportunities. The game settled as a tie as per BCIHL regulations. Hoodicoff stood on his head stopping 34 of 36 shots earning the first star nod. The Saints finished sixth place in the regular season after earning seven out of a possible eight points over their final four games. This was however not enough to qualify them for the BCIHL Championships hosted by SFU in mid March. The top five teams in regular season play earn this honor. Complete stats are available at www.bcihl.ca The Saints would like to thank everyone who supported the team over the past year including the numerous volunteers and sponsors. A special thanks goes out to the Nelson Leafs volunteers and staff at the NDCC for their time and dedication this past weekend. Stay tuned for Saints recruiting updates in the near future.
Attractive headband incredibly very well built and uncomplicated to in shape my daughter loves it would definatly acquire in other colors.Loads of compliments, looked more highly-priced than many others costing 8 instances the selling price.Valdler Womens Girls Flower Feather Mesh Net Beaded Fascinator with Headband Tea Party Derby Hat Wedding Hair AccessoryTrendy style matches everythingMaterial: headband, feather, mesh net, beadedMeshOne size fits all, super easy to put on your headThe headband helps attach to your head, also it not get tangled in your hair nor do they pull out your hairFun for every day, and wonderful for special occasions and outdoor events, like tea party, Kentucky Derby, wedding, etcAdmired by all at the wedding in usa. The place dud you buy it???stunning hat.Attractive headband incredibly very well built and uncomplicated to in shape my daughter loves it would definatly acquire in other colors.Genuinely happy charming fascinator ,discount price tag.Valdler Womens Girls Flower Feather Mesh Net Beaded Fascinator with Headband Tea Party Derby Hat Wedding Hair Accessory : This years wedding must have. This item has been sent free of charge in exchange for our honest opinion. This product is well made and fitted amazingly. I will be the envy of all my friends and family wearing this. It is eye capturing” stylish and will compliment everybody’s outfit. Loads of compliments, looked more highly-priced than many others costing 8 instances the selling price.Genuinely happy charming fascinator ,discount price tag.This yrs wedding need to have. This merchandise has been despatched free of charge of cost in trade for our honest viewpoint. This item is very well produced and fitted astonishingly. I will be the envy of all my friends and spouse and children putting on this. It is eye capturing’ attractive and will compliment everybody’s outfit.
Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF president MOST READ Paul Pierce AFP/GETTY IMAGES FILE PHOTOLooks like it didn’t take long for Paul Pierce to find a new gig outside of basketball.After 19 remarkable seasons in the NBA, “The Truth” is set to join ESPN’s crew of on-screen NBA analysts and personalities.ADVERTISEMENT Read Next LOOK: Loisa Andalio, Ronnie Alonte unwind in Amanpulo for 3rd anniversary Pierce’s new venture, meanwhile, mirrors his former Celtic teammate Kevin Garnett, who also transitioned to broadcast commentary after retiring from the sport.His number 34 jersey will also be immortalized in a retirement ceremony sometime this season. Khristian Ibarrola /ra Perez uncorks 28 as Lyceum goes up 15-0 Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH BSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fight Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles02:31Duterte had wanted Albayalde to take terminal leave — Go00:54Gordon: Albayalde may still face charges even after retirement01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games View comments Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City Frontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC LATEST STORIES Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. As confirmed by the sports network in a statement, the 10-time All-Star and Celtics legend will regularly appear in the “NBA Countdown’’ and “The Jump” segments starting next month.“I always had fun doing guest coverage with ESPN, so it is exciting to officially join the teams at NBA Countdown and The Jump,” said Pierce, who served as a guest on both segments during the 2017-18 regular season and playoffs.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“I love hoops, my whole life has been about the game, so this feels like a natural evolution in my career and I can’t wait for the season to get started,” he added.Pierce’s toughness and bravado as a basketball player translated well into the microphone, as his often candid and opinionated commentaries drew rave reviews from viewers.
Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC One thing going against Fajardo, though, in his bid for a record sixth BPC award is the Beermen’s subpar performance in the season-ending conference which saw their Grand Slam dream halted in the quarterfinals. Trailing him at second is TNT guard Jayson Castro, who amassed 33.563 SPs after leading the KaTropa to the semifinals with his averages of 18.19 markers, 4.38 boards, 6.31 dimes, and 1.19 steals.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutHowever, the battle for the hardware would likely fall on the players who led their team to the Finals.Greg Slaughter is making a strong case for his first BPC award after netting 32.625 SPs. Read Next The 29-year-old is poised to claim his second Best Import award as he is way above of his peers after averaging 25.44 points, 20.06 rebounds, 6.81 assists, and 1.25 blocks while anchoring the Bolts to a return trip to the Finals.On Durham’s heels are Phoenix’s Brandon Brown with 54.500 SPs, Blackwater’s Henry Walker with 54.100 SPs, GlobalPort’s Murphy Holloway with 53.222 SPs, and NLEX’s Aaron Fuller with 49.500 SPs. Frontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients LOOK: Loisa Andalio, Ronnie Alonte unwind in Amanpulo for 3rd anniversary Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF president LATEST STORIES MOST READ Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa BSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fight Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Warriors’ Klay Thompson ‘aspires’ to create dynasty like Michael Jordan’s Bulls Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles01:31Go: Search for ‘perfect, honest man’ to lead PNP still on00:59Old rivals Fajardo, Slaughter finally face off in the PBA Finals01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Returning to action this conference, the Ginebra big man is having a stellar conference after averaging 14.69 points, 8.75 rebounds, 1.69 assists, and 1.63 blocks so far while helping the Gin Kings to the championship round.Closely behind is Meralco sophomore Chris Newsome, who has 30.875 SPs after netting 13.06 markers, 6.25 boards, 5.0 assists, and 1.0 steals for the Bolts before the finals.Completing the top five is San Miguel forward Arwind Santos, who had 30.583 SPs.Rounding out the top 10 are LA Tenorio of Ginebra (30.188 SPs), Stanley Pringle of GlobalPort (29.444 SPs), Calvin Abueva of Alaska (29.000 SPs), Baser Amer of Meralco (28.867 SPs), and Alex Cabagnot of San Miguel (28.500 SPs).Meanwhile, Allen Durham is still on the top in the Best Import race with his 58.875 SPs.ADVERTISEMENT Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netSan Miguel may have bowed out of 2017 PBA Governors’ Cup title race, but June Mar Fajardo remained still the statistical points leader for the Best Player of the Conference at the end of the semifinals.The Cebuano giant netted 38.455 SPs after averaging 18.55 points, a league-best 11.64 rebounds, 1.73 assists, and 2.27 blocks.ADVERTISEMENT View comments
Watford open talks with Galatasaray for Ozan Kabakby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveWatford have opened talks with Galatasaray for Ozan Kabak.The young defender has been linked with a move to England for several weeks, though he also has been the subject of enquiries from Inter Milan and Roma.However, Italian sources say Inter agents have learned Watford are now in talks with Gala for the defender.And the Hornets are willing to meet his €7.5m buyout clause to bring him to England.Watford management are in the market for a young centre-half signing as they seek to drive down the average age of their defensive options. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Nav performs at the Juno Awards in London, Ont., Sunday, March 17, 2019. Rapper Nav is latest Canadian to sit atop the Billboard album chart. ~ Frank Gunn / THE CANADIAN PRESS Advertisement Twitter LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Advertisement Advertisement In Canada, the album debuted in the top spot as well, with 10,000 units.The 29-year-old rapper’s tally was helped by solid streaming numbers and various merchandise bundles sold through his website.Fans could pick up an array of items, from hoodies to a 12-pack of “Bad Habits”-branded Styrofoam cups, and each included a refundable code for the digital album.Several days after its March 22 release, Nav reissued the album in a “deluxe version” with eight additional tracks.He also released an array of new merchandise bundles during the sales week, including a package that offered an early access pass for his concerts and the album for $10. Facebook Login/Register With: TORONTO — Rapper Nav is the latest Canadian to sit atop the Billboard album chart.The Toronto performer, born Navraj Goraya, scored his first No. 1 album on the Billboard 200 with Bad Habits, released on the Weeknd’s XO record label.It sold the equivalent of 82,000 album units for the week ending March 28, a figure that includes both physical and digital sales as well as streaming numbers.