Tests reveal pig worker has Ebola antibodies

first_imgJan 27, 2009 (CIDRAP News) – Health officials in the Philippines recently announced that a worker who had contact with sick pigs tested positive for antibodies to the Ebola Reston virus, a pathogen that was discovered about a month ago for the first time in pigs.Eric Tayag, head of the National Epidemiology Centre, said the case represent the first known pig-to-human Ebola Reston virus transmission, according to a Jan 24 Associated Press (AP) report.The Ebola subtype was discovered in 1989 at a primate facility in Reston, Va. among monkeys imported from the Philippines. The Ebola Reston virus can sicken monkeys, but causes little if any clinical disease in humans.Tayag said blood sampling on 50 pig farm and slaughterhouse workers conducted by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) showed that one worker was exposed to the virus more than 6 months ago, the AP report said.Francisco Duque, the nation’s health secretary, told reporters at a news conference that the man had not been seriously ill in the past 12 months and was extremely unlikely to have exposed others to the virus, the AP reported. “This new finding in humans still presents a negligible risk to human health,” he said.Lo Wing-Iok, an infectious disease expert in Hong Kong, said viruses jumping species is always a concern, according to a Jan 23 report from Reuters. He said it is important to follow the Ebola Reston developments very closely.”This virus may be magnified in swine and we could get a higher-density virus in the environment and more cases of human infection can occur,” Lo told Reuters.When Ebola Reston virus outbreaks hit monkeys in the Philippines in the 1990s, people who had close contact with the sick animals were tested, and about 25 had antibodies to the virus, according to the World Health Organization (WHO). One person had mild flulike symptoms but recovered fully.In other Ebola developments, the medical aid group Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF, or Doctors Without Borders) said recently that the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) is under control.All patients with suspected infections who were under observation in the MSF isolation center in Kampungu in Western Kasai province have been discharged and are in good health, the organization said.So far 48 patients have shown symptoms of Ebola fever, but only 7 cases were confirmed, MSF reported. There were 2 deaths among the 7 confirmed cases.MSF said its isolation center would remain open in case new suspected cases surface.The outbreak, which began in mid December, is the second outbreak since 2007 to strike the DRC’s West Kasai province. Statements from the WHO and MSF have not said which Ebola subtype has sickened people in the outbreak. Public health officials have said that some of the suspected cases in both recent outbreaks had Shigella (bacterial) infections.See also:Dec 11, 2008, CIDRAP News story “Testing turns up Ebola in pigs”Jan 23 Doctors Without Borders reportJan 2 WHO update on Ebola in DRClast_img read more

Who can we trust on local TV news?

first_imgI was appalled to see Liz Bishop kowtowing to Sinclair Broadcast Group and spewing its propaganda. Disgusting. She is so much better than that. I worked for TV-10 and the state Health Department for many years and never did I lie.A couple of times I came close to being fired, but I stood my ground. What the heck happened to Liz? I am so disappointed. This is why I don’t watch local TV news anymore. When they can turn Liz, no one can be trusted.Kristine SmithDuanesburgMore from The Daily Gazette:Cuomo calls for clarity on administering vaccineEDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationEDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristsFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s press conference for Sunday, Oct. 18 Categories: Letters to the Editor, Opinionlast_img read more

Police secure extension to hold RK guards

first_imgCrime Chief Wendell Blanhum on Friday confirmed the Police Force can lawfully detain RK’s security guards, Damion Pearce and Cleveland Pyle in connection with the robbery committed at an East Coast Demerara bank on Monday evening.According to the Crime Chief the Police are expected to wrap up their investigations over the weekend and once legal advice is had, the men will make a court appearance in the new week.He also stated that based on information, they are hunting two others who were also part of the staged robbery.The two men reportedly confessed to the robbery during interrogation by police while at the same time implicating two others.On Monday last, Pearce and Pyle who are attached to the RK Security Service were taking cash to the ECD bank to be deposited when they claimed they were relieved of the money and the firearms they were carrying.During the well-orchestrated robbery, one of the men shot himself to the leg to make it look as if they were attacked by armed gunmen.Following their confession, the duo led police to an A Field Sophia, Georgetown, house where they dug up the $3 million from the back yard. The guns which they claimed were taken by the bandits were also unearthed at the same location. The occupant of the house at the time who is the girlfriend of Pearce was taken into police custody.Attempts to contact the owner of RK Security for a comment proved futile. (Bhisham Mohamed)last_img read more

GAA NEWS: TIR CHONAILL GAELS JUNIORS REACH CHAMPIONSHIP SEMI-FINAL AFTER WIN OVER HARPS

first_imgTir Chonaill Gaels GAA News:JuniorsThe Juniors proceeded to the semi-final of the championship on Sunday were they overcame Dulwich Harps in Ruislip in a winner takes all game. The Gaels shot into a 1-2 to 0-1 lead before Dulwich Harps got a goal back. That was the closest Harps got to the Gaels with the boys going on a 20 minute scoring spree to lead 3-9 to 1-1 at the break. The Gaels kept up the pressure after the break and the game was over as a contest after 15 mins with the final score 4-18 to 1-02. It was a stirring performance from the lads knowing that a loss would have put them out of the championship. Liam O’Regan and Gerard Geraghty led the defence well, Gavin McEvoy, Ryan Kearney and Ryan Elliott had good games in the middle with the main man McGinley rattling the onion bag for the 2nd game in a row.Next up is St Anthony’s next Sunday 13th September in Ruislip at 4.30pm in the semi-final who will provide a much sterner test for the boys.SeniorsThe seniors have had two quiet weekends, next up is Neasdan Gaels in the championship in Greenford on Saturday 12th September at 4pm.ReservesThe reserves play Fulham Irish in the championship at 2.30pm on Saturday 12th September in Greenford. A must win game for the boys.Charity CycleAway from football, all roads lead to Glen in Donegal this weekend. Stocker and his band of merry men depart from Co Down on Thursday on a 4 day trek across Ulster taking in 6 of the 9 counties and finishing in Glen on Saturday evening. There are numerous ex-Gaels joining in on various stages throughout the 4 days and it promises to be a great social occasion also. Stephen, Paul, Frank and Seamus have put in a great effort in organising the cycle and we wish them all the best and hope they raise a lot of money for the various cancer charities. If you wish to make an online donation you can do so by visiting www.justgiving.com/TCGcharitycycle and thank you for your support.Vintage DaySunday saw another great day at Tir Chonaill Park were the annual Vintage Day drew another massive crowd who basked in glorious weather. Daniel O’Donnell and his wife Majella attended and were great sports; posing for photographs with Daniel singing a few songs to everyone’s delight. There were numerous bands, events, stalls auctions and raffles which raising massive amounts of money for charities. Well done to Tiny and his committee for another great day.Lottery Results – 3rd September 2015Numbers drawn 5, 10, 11 & 12Jackpot £1,450 – No Winner£25 Lucky Dip WinnersEddie Doyle, c/o TCGLucy McLoughlin, LiverpoolAlan Walsh, Club ChefBarney Breen, c/o TCGNext draw 10 September at the clubhouseJackpot £1,500Play online at www.tirchonaillgaels.comGAA NEWS: TIR CHONAILL GAELS JUNIORS REACH CHAMPIONSHIP SEMI-FINAL AFTER WIN OVER HARPS was last modified: September 7th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Sportlast_img read more