Ghana football chief resigns after corruption suspension

first_img0Shares0000Kwesi Nyantakyi accused “scammers” of tricking him after stepping down as Ghanaian Football Association president © AFP/File / Carl DE SOUZAACCRA, Ghana, Jun 8 – Ghanian Football Association (GFA) president Kwesi Nyantakyi resigned on Friday just hours after world football governing body FIFA hit him with a 90-day suspension over corruption claims.In a statement carried on the GFA website, Nyantakyi apologised “unreservedly” for “a series of errors of indiscretion” after FIFA launched an ethics investigation into his activities. Nyantakyi was accused in an explosive documentary called ‘Number 12’, aired on Wednesday by investigative journalist Anas Aremeyaw Anas, of soliciting bribes amounting to several million dollars.The football chief said “scammers” had “deceived me into thinking they were genuine persons interested in investing in our country”.In the documentary he was accused of requesting $11 million (9.3 million euros) from reporters posing as investors to secure government contracts.He also allegedly tried to profit personally from a $5 million-a-year, five-year sponsorship deal with the GFA.Hidden camera footage also purportedly showed referees taking as little as $100 each to rig matches.Ghana’s government on Thursday said the documentary had exposed “gross malfunctioning… characterised by widespread fraud, corruption and bribery” at the GFA.Ghana’s information minister Mustapha Abdul-Hamid said the government would dissolve the GFA because of the “widespread nature of the apparent rot”.FIFA responded earlier on Friday by banning Nyantakyi from “all football-related activity” for 90 days pending an investigation with a possible further suspension of up to 45 days.Football is Ghana’s national sport and the revelations have sent shockwaves through the country, just under a week before the start of the World Cup finals in Russia, for which they failed to qualify.Before the last World Cup in Brazil in 2014, Nyantakyi was accused of signing a $170,000-deal for Ghana to play in a friendly organised by match fixers. He denied the accusations.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Top HSE doctor warns to keep children with flu symptoms not to return to school

first_imgParents with children with flu-like symptoms were warned today to keep them at home when schools open next week to combat an expected surge in influenza infections.Thousands of children across the country are falling victim to the flu this year.The Health Service Executive said the rise in the numbers of people with flu was having a significant knock-on effect on the high numbers on trolleys in the nation’s hospitals. Dr Kevin Kelleher, assistant national director for public health and child health, said flu figures were expected to peak within a couple of weeks.“When schools go back next week, there may be a leap in the numbers with flu,” Dr Kelleher told independent.ie.To combat the expected surge in numbers, he appealed to parents to keep sick children at home.He also declared adults with flu-like symptoms should not tough it out and go to work where they would spread the virus. Top HSE doctor warns to keep children with flu symptoms not to return to school was last modified: January 6th, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:fluHSEschoolslast_img read more